Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bitten by the Senioritis Bug

My one true devoted follower keeps asking me why I haven't updated recently, and to her, I apologize. Sadly, the academic monsters that rule my universe have kept me locked in a cubicle-crammed cage called the library for the past few days.

My reference to academic monsters is, of course, in jest, as my professors are certainly not monsters, and my workload really isn't all that overwhelming, all things considered. I've probably spent more time doing online crossword puzzles and reading about impending apocalypses than researching examples of class warfare in Strindberg. But still, I've logged like eighteen hours in the basement of the Milton S. Eisenhower library. How can this be?

The problem is that pesky little bug called Senioritis. The sporadic reappearance of the sun has infected me and my fellow future graduates with this plague, the symptoms of which according to Wikipedia include "procrastination, lack of motivation, a drop in academic performance, a desire to drop out of school, and "coasting", which is the act of going through classes with very little concentration or application of intent along with truancy and frequent tardiness."

Basically, we sit around and do nothing all day. Or, at least, that's what we want to do.

Most people go through this during their last semester of high school, after the college applications are in, grades stop counting, and the future, though not set in stone, looks pretty bright. When I was in high school, most of my teachers enabled our lack of focus, trading in physics lessons for YouTube Captain Planet marathons. Seriously. I was very up-to-date on the power of eco-friendly magic rings in April '07.

Unfortunately, senioritis isn't as easy to coast by on in college. Especially when your post-grad plans aren't set, and your GPA might ultimately be an important factor in your near future. More importantly, professors don't really care that you've lost interest in their assignments. I tried to suggest writing a paper on the South Park parody of Great Expectations rather than on the Dickens book itself, but to no avail.

Ah, well. The library calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment