Friday, April 8, 2011

Modern Times

My computer charger killed itself the other day. Disillusioned by its monotonous "plug in and plug out" existence, it decided to forgo supplying my laptop with life source, choosing instead to lay limp and useless on my bedroom floor. No crisis, as luckily it turns out that my university stuck an Apple Store into the basement of an old classroom building, though it took me a few days to figure that out. I had to rely on the kindness of others to maintain my internet addiction.

Maybe I can call it "vintage"...?
Technology is a weird, temporal thing. It's a strange of moment when you realize that the beloved baby Macbook you bought the summer before your freshman year, the one that loaded at the speed of light and made your '03 Dell look like a body-building regime accessory, has become a dinosaur. Freshmen and sophomores carry around sleek new Apple computers that aren't covered with years of dorm-room crust. These new computers aren't missing keys, or cracked in odd places due to a casing defect. They don't even make the Macbook in black anymore.

I'm going to need a new computer soon. When I turn this one on, there's a real moment of suspense before the welcome screen loads. Writing papers has turned into a gamble against time.

And yet...the world spins madly on...Except for the U.S. government, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment